Tuesday, January 13, 2009

hippity hippity hop. hop. hop. hop.


Ironically, even though various brands of gin are easily found and is dirt cheap, and even though Oita is darn famous for its limes, I CANNOT FOR THE LIFE OF ME FIND TONIC WATER. I loves myself a good gin and tonic so this is depressing. So since I had nothing to do one morning I decided to sample which Japanese soft drink goes well with gin. Summarily:

- "Lemon Lime from USA" is too sweet even with plenty of lime. (And yes it's really called that, but any fool outside of Japan would tell you it's obviously NOT FROM THE USA).  
- "Soda" is just, who woulda guessed, gin with bland soda water...but on the plus side, now I know brand to chase vodka with.
- Asahi Mitsuya Cider, while pretty good on its own, is disgusting with gin. It brought out the tinniness of the Beefeater.  
- Gin and gingerale is great rolling off the tongue but mediocre to the palate. 
- And since the scientific method calls for a variable, I bought Calpis, that Japanese cum-looking yogurt water as my wildcard and my "well, it couldn't hurt."  Well slap my face and call me Issac Newton, Calpis is surprisingly excellent with gin. Winner. I spiked what remained in the bottle and toted it with me to class. I was happily buzzed through the whole day of lessons.  


Why would I need to drink before class?? Because I'm forced to sing songs like what I wrote in the subject line to my kids, and I assure you that the hippity hippity hop does not refer to the Sugarhill Gang. As much as my kids would be delighted by rocking it to the bang bang boogie say up jumped the boogie, they are just as content with singing about a damn bunny. My kids love that jingle shit. They will go batshitcrazy for a catchy tune. I will probably die thinking of the "Hello Song." A song where you literally sing "hello" 13 times in about 20 seconds. AND THERE IS CHOREOGRAPHY TOO. 

Check out my BigToaster1000 toaster oven in the photo by the way. The name and the photo's perspective lies: it's actually quite small and fits like a single slice of bread. But what's really nifty is that there's a mochi setting. Whaaaduuppp. 

In totally unrelated news, I cooked the best meat and marinara spaghetti today. It needed a bay leaf or some basil but I'm not holding my breath that I'll find that at the Daiei. During my meal I fast-forwarded through "Chasing Amy" and it was okay, but this was the first time I noticed that Jay was rolling a blunt during the diner scene. I love when Jay tells the waitress Flo to kiss his grits, nooch. 

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

might be best not to mention drinking on the job whilst actually working for peppy :-P haha

lorraine said...

i make no mention of peppy anywhere! until now it could have been any ol' english school. now i might get fired. thanks.